PGA Team Event Takes Over At 2022 Zurich Classic
The 2022 Zurich Classic tees off in NOLA, and I chip-in some team event golf coverage of the tournament in Louisiana. Last year’s Zurich Classic winners, Australian’s Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman, return to defend as one of the leading favorites.
Zurich Classic Odds
Odds courtesy of FanDuel Sportsbook
- Collin Morikawa and Viktor Hovland (+750)
- Patrick Cantlay and Xander Schauffele (+800)
- Sam Burns and Billy Horschel (+1200)
- Cameron Smith and Marc Leishman (+950)
- Scottie Scheffler and Ryan Palmer (+1100)
- Tommy Fleetwood and Sergio Garcia (+1700)
- Shane Lowry and Ian Poulter (+1900)
- Joaquin Niemann and Mio Pereira (2400)
- Talor Gooch and Max Homa (+2400)
- Tyrrell Hatton and Danny Willett (+2800)
- Harold Varner III and Bubba Watson (+2800)
- Keegan Bradley and Brendan Steele (+3100)
- Byeong Hun An and Sunjae Im (+3200)
- Patton Kizzire and J.T. Poston (+3600)
- Graeme McDowell and Seamus Power (+3600)
- Riley and Will Zalatoris (+3600)
- Adam Hadwin and Adam Svensson (+4600)
How the Zurich Classic works
Team Format Rules:
- Rounds 1 and 3 are Four-Ball (Best-Ball)
- Rounds 2 and 4 are Foursomes (Alternate Shot)
For Four-Ball play, the players on each team will each play their ball throughout the entirety of the round. The best score between the two players is recorded.
During Foursomes play, players will rotate tee shots. One player will hit the tee shots on all the odd-numbered holes, and the other will hit the tee shot on even-numbered holes. The total strokes taken will result in the team’s score for that hole.
Making the Cut: The low 33 teams and ties following Round 2 continue to play into the weekend on Saturday and Sunday.
Both players on the winning team receive a two-year winner’s exemption and eligibility into Invitational fields. Including the Tournament of Champions, THE PLAYERS Championship and also the PGA Championship.
Course and tournament information
- Course: TPC Louisiana
- Location: Avondale, La
- Date: Apr. 21-24
- Par: 72 / Yardage 7,425
- Purse: $8.3 Million / Winners $2.4 Million (split)
Read more tournament insight on the Pete Dye design and information you can bet on in my coverage at Play Louisiana, where I provide a feature on former LSU Tiger and Shreveport, La. native Sam Burns.
Also, some teams to target including dark horses in my coverage for The Duel Sports and FanDuel.
Billy Horschel and Sam Burns (+1300)
Not a longshot, but this pairing joins forces for the second straight year after finishing T-4 at 18-under par last year. They shot 63 and 65 in the Thursday/Saturday Four Ball format (play own ball), and both players rank top 15 on Tour in Strokes Gained: Total over their last 36 rounds. Making birdies is imperative in the Four Ball format, and both players are top 25 in Birdie average with Burns No. 7 on Tour (4.60 per round).
Zurich Classic Betting Data
As of Wednesday late morning, BetMGM reported the following:
- Palmer & Scheffler 9.4%
- Hovland & Morikawa 8.6%
- Riley & Zalatoris 7.3%
- Hovland & Morikawa 11.8%
- Palmer & Scheffler 10.9%
- Burns & Horschel 10.0%
I won’t bet or recommend guys/teams at 10/1 or less, even in this format, even if it appears there is much to like about the Hovland/Morikawa team pairing.
2022 Zurich Classic Golf Picks
Following last week’s 2-0 sweep on tournament matchups at the RBC Heritage at Harbour Town, we’re now 11-5 on tournament match-ups in 2022. Follow along as we make a tournament match-up play more on price this week, and check back Wednesday and during the event for additional information you can bet on.
Fairway’s Favorites: Sam Burns & Billy Horschel, Joaquin Niemann & Mito Pereira
Fairway’s Longshots: Riley & Zalatoris, Charl Schwartzel & Christiaan Bezuidenhout (+6600)
Tournament Match-ups: Schwartzel & Bezuidenhout (+135) over Clark & Tringale
Next week it’s the Mexico Open followed by the Wells Fargo Championship played on a different course at TPC Potomac at Avenel Farm.