Finding Value And Winners At The Preakness Stakes
Will Preakness Payoff For War of Will, Owendale or Longshot Bettors?
The 144th Preakness Stakes is set for Saturday, May 18, and the field of 13 is led by the race favorite Improbable. The Bob Baffert trained colt is talented for sure, but not our pick to win or profit in the Preakness.
I provided Preakness coverage for a number of outlets, and you can read all about the race, horses, odds and more at TheLines. I also chip in a Preakness betting guide with insight and info you can bet on, along with some best bets at PlayPicks with War of Will and Owendale key win horses.
- Preakness Stakes: Sat., May 18
- Post time: 6:48 p.m. ET
- Pre-race TV coverage: 2:30-5 p.m. on NBCSN
- TV channel: 5:00-7:15 p.m. on NBC
The Preakness is one of the biggest bet horse races of the year, and you can watch on NBC or watch and wager at some of the betting partners like TVG with their big bonuses and money-back promotions. Also Twinspires provides so much coverage and is a major betting platform that I have worked with and provided articles and insight on horse racing and big events like the Preakness.
My Preakness article at Forbes provides more in-depth coverage of the race and some of my horses of interest (War of Will & Owendale), and added longshots than may help you score bigger in the exotics. I also provide insight and info from horse handicappers, unlike myself, who study races, past performances, video and more like Rob Heine of the East and West Coast Handicapping Report. I have contacts to some racing experts like Mike Shutty of Horse Racing Nation that provide more detailed coverage in publications like SuperScreener,
So enjoy the Preakness, and may War of Will and Owendale cash-in!
- War of Will was directly involved in the Kentucky Derby fracas losing a length or two as a result of getting entangled with Maximum Security. War of Will was restrained by his jockey early in the Derby, and he really wanted to run and showed he could have in the stretch had he not been cut off and interfered with turning for home. War of Will is a well-bred War Front colt who is a multiple graded stakes winner that won the Lecomte (G3) and Risen Star (G2) this year. Look for War of Will to be pressing a moderate pace and be one of the horses to count on in the stretch run.
- Owendale is a closer who could benefit most if the pace is a little faster on the front end with his stablemate Warriors Charge leading the way with Improbable, War of Will and other pressers Alwaysmining, Bodexpress, Anothertwisafate and Market King. Owendale used a big sweeping move to fly past race favorite Anothertwistafate and win the Lexington Stakes by open lengths in his last race at 12-1 odds. He’s still improving for trainer Brad Cox, who also has front-running Warriors Charge in the Preakness. Owendale will be a closer coming late with other off the pace runners and longshots Bourbon War, Laughingfox, Win Win Win and Signalman looking to hit the board and payoff with a late closing kick.
PREAKNESS STAKES POST POSITIONS AND ODDS
|Post Position||Horse||Opening Odds||Jockey||Last Race|
|1||War of Will||4-1||Tyler Gaffalione||7th Kentucky Derby (G1)|
|2||Bourbon War||12-1||Irad Ortiz Jr.||4th Florida Derby (G1)|
|3||Warriors Charge||12-1||Javier Castellano||1st OC 75K Oaklawn|
|4||Improbable||5-2||Mike Smith||4th Kentucky Derby (G1)|
|5||Owendale||10-1||Florent Geroux||1st Lexington (G3)|
|6||Market King||30-1||Jon Court||11th Blue Grass (G2)|
|7||Alwaysmining||8-1||Daniel Centeno||1st Federico Tesio Stakes|
|8||Signalman||30-1||Brian Hernandez Jr.||3rd Blue Grass (G2)|
|9||Bodexpress||20-1||John Velazquez||13th Kentucky Derby (G1)|
|10||Everfast||50-1||Joel Rosario||5th Pat Day Mile (G3)|
|11||Laughing Fox||20-1||Ricardo Santana Jr.||1st Oaklawn Invitational|
|12||Anothertwistafate||6-1||Jose Ortiz||2nd Lexington (G3)|
|13||Win Win Win||15-1||Julian Pimentel||9th Kentucky Derby (G1)|
Update following race: War of Will wins the Preakness at 6-1 odds as our top pick and pays $14.20 to win. Owendale (7-1) finishes 3rd, as he gets nosed out for 2nd by longshot Everfast (29-1), which costs us the exacta multiple times and the potential trifecta. A $2 exacta paid $947. An exacta wheel with War of Will on top ($26) was the play.